Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 4, 2009

2. That's my Boy

Image - Madam Poulet
We are woken this morning at 6.30 to the sound of our crowing cockerel. "That's my Boy" Say's my husband in a sleepy voice. I get up and make us a nice cup of tea and there we sit in bed with the window wide open listening to Our Boy {Monsieur Poulet}. The sky is blue and there is a gently sun warming to our arrival on our first full day at LePalme d'Orcharde. "Is it normal for cockerels to crow for so long? it must be 20 mins he has been at it?" I ask. "Yes of course" says Malcolm who has much more experience in his earlier life than my very ignorant self. "His probably wanting some breakfast and of course there are eggs to be collected". Mmmm, I ponder this as the church bells start the 7am peel out. We listen to the Cock crowing and smile at each other while the bells ring out to call the farmers to the fields. Yes, this does feel like "The Good Life". I make the comment that I wish my children could have been brought up in such surrounding, Malcolm agrees...Anyway time to get up and kick in with life and the Hen Pen...
Whilst I go in search of eggs, Malcolm is preparing breakfast. I search everywhere, in the 2 coups and through the long grass in Hen Pen garden - but nothing. All five chickens give me a wide birth and all are acting a little fearful. "I can promise you, I will not hurt you" and I chatter on regardless trying to gain their confidence. "Breakfast is near ready - where's the eggs? I thought we would have scrambled eggs today" Malcolm shouts to me from afar!! "No eggs today Chef, they haven't delivered yet"...
The rest of the day is put to getting the house in order and reading up on Poultry.....

No comments:

Post a Comment