Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

19 - Panning for the Future

Having got to know quite a few people locally, that are adapting fully into THE GOOD WAY OF LIFE with tremendous enthusiasm for working their own smallholding. I can fully see the benefits why they would want to grow their own fruit and vegetables. Apart from Chickens many rear other types of poultry and farm animals for their own consumption, which include Sheep, Goats (for milk and cheese) and Pigs. All swear by how much tastier their produce is and how much healthier they feel in themselves. I questioned how this would tie them down but I am assured that there is a big enough network of self supporting smallholders in this area for everyone to help each other when and if...
Sounds good to me - maybe I should consider expanding. First things first, I have to see what Tractor Man thinks to the idea. "Great" he says, "We have plenty of Mint Sauce, so yes a couple of Lambs would be good to kick off with and they would help to keep the grass down", says the keen Engineer. "Oh No", its that black and white conversation again. "Do you know how to keep sheep" I ask. "What about their welfare, feeding, housing etc". "No need to concern yourself over that, there's always the Internet for sourcing answers" adds Tractor Man. "Mmmm, maybe just a good reference book would be better", I say knowing full well just how long the Internet-ism can keep the Tractor Man from doing other things. "Good idea" he says and goes to the Internet to find a good book on small farms. Oh no - I can't win, there goes another afternoon...
Taking the Tractor Man's arm, I steer him away from the computer out of the house and change the contents of the conversation. "Maybe we should consider having Geese, ducks and a turkey first and see how we get on, before we take on any lambs. At least we are getting a bit of a handle on the chickens just now". "Yes", he answers, "I see where you are coming from Dearest, but you still may have to pick the poultry up and you know the problem you are having with the chickens". Of course, my black and white man does indeed have a point. "I agree with you Darling but let us try and gain as much information as possible about farm animals between now and Spring and then reconsider our situation when the young ones are being born"...
My arm still tucked in with Tractor Man, we are walking towards Hen Pen Garden and all nine chicken's are lined up by the gate wanting attention or food. I point out a few Health and Safety issues with the fencing, as it is just a matter of time before something unforeseen happens. Without any hesitation, my man has his full attention on the job in hand and fixed the fencing up a treat..."Job Done" he says proudly and adds "Now where's my Tractor"?

No comments:

Post a Comment